Top Ten Tuesday last week went smashing! I had great fun reading all the other authors that bloggers appreciate. This week is 10 words or topics that will make you NOT pick up a book. I am sure most of these won't require much of an explanation. Again, no particular order.
Here we go!
1. Sex or anything about sexual abuse. Let me state this first and get it out of the way: I am easily affected by what I read. If I read anything about abuse, murder, creepiness, I automatically start freaking out and assuming someone is about to kill me. I know. But it happens. But I am also a believer that pornography is not good for anyone involved and sex in books is the same thing. I try to avoid it always.
2. Drugs or excessive drinking. Its just not something I relate to. I do not want to read about people's illegal habits or wasting life away. Sorry #butnotsorry
3. "Mean Girls". I totally LOVED the movie Mean Girls, yes. But if the book seems to be about the typical mean girl HS drama (Pretty Little Liars), I pass right over. Lame and NOT interested.
4. Divorce. Kinda. I like love stories and redemption more. If the book is about failing marriages, I just get depressed. I don't want to be depressed. This is probably why I have been putting off reading Gone Girl for about a year now.
5. Music Books. Specifically indie music books. They are usually too uppity. I think I lost my interest completely after reading A Visit from the Goon Squad. Blech.
6. Political books or books trying to make a statement. Even if I agree with your soapbox, I am totally not interested in your opinions. I read for enjoyment, adventure, and new experiences not propaganda.
7. Too much evil. Yes, that is vague. Again, see #1 and #4.
8. Children dying or people dying needlessly. I am a mother now and children getting hurt produces automatic tears. Tears that I do not enjoy. I also cannot stand when mass amounts of people just die. Its why I am not going to watch World War Z.
9. Just plain ole dumb titles. I keep track of THIS LIST on Goodreads for good laughs. My Darling, My Hamburger is near the top of the list.
10. Unappealing photos/covers. Yes I DO judge books on their covers. I know I shouldn't, but I only have so much time to read and there are SO many books! I need the cover to tell me quickly what tone the book will give me. I will leave you with some bad ones for your viewing pleasure::
Heard this was a good book, but the cover bores me.
I know this is a classic but....
I mean what does this even tell us....it's creepy....and old. But I HAVE read this one and liked it.