Friday, January 2, 2015

Favorite Books of 2014


Happy New Year!! 2015 has officially begun and it is past time that I wrap up 2014. In July I shared my top books of the year that I had read so far. At that time I had hardly read any fiction books and only had one fiction book on my Top Books list! After that I resolved to read more fiction, and did a splendid job. Three of the five books here are fiction books! Whew :) 



I had 29 five star books out of 95 books for the year. My reading goal for the year was only 60 books, so I far surpassed that goal!! I also read over 25,000 pages which feels just awesome. 

Before I dive into the list, know that I couldn't force myself to order these choices. I'll put them in what I think is probably a rough order...for now.

5. Eleanor
Eleanor was an odd read for me. It was different than anything I had read before. It was timey wimey, kind of sci-fi-y, and kind of YA. I think everyone should give it a good shot.
Review here: Eleanor

4. Lady at Willowgrove Hall
Fantastically researched, well written, no insta-love, well paced....a splendid Regency novel. Between this one and this other five star read of mine, I am falling in love with historical romances!!
Review here: Lady at Willowgrove Hall 

3. Breathing Room
Leeana Tankersley opened my eyes to the obvious: I am my own worst enemy. Her urge to treat ourselves like a best friend instead seemed nothing short of revolutionary to me. Upon completion I immediately labeled it as a 'must re-read'. I'm not forgetting this as I put together a list for my Re-Read 2015 Challenge. 
Review here: Breathing Room.

2. 50 Women Every Christian Should Know
"Each time you set the book down these fifty women will stick to your heart, you will ponder their lives and your own guaranteed." --Quoted from my own review. These women of faith had stuck to my heart every since I read their inspiring stories. I can't help but want to re-read this gem and dive deeper into the lives of some of these women.
Review here: 50 Women Every Christian Should Know

1. The Butterfly and the Violin
Set in European WWII, 'The Butterfly and the Violin' tells the haunting tale of a popular female violinist being sent to 'labor camp' for her crime in aiding Jews to safety. We see and experience Adele's time at Auschwitz and it is nothing short of heartbreaking. The story of suffering, love, and Christianity hasn't left me since. A MUST read.
Review here: The Butterfly and the Violin

Come back soon where I will be sharing some fun and awesome 'runner up's, some let downs, and a lot of more stats and facts from 2014!! 

4 comments:

  1. I have not read any of these, so I will definitely have to check them out!

    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Butterfly and the Violin. Ohhh, that cover! It's just too beautiful for words. It sounds incredibly poignant and just brilliant. I'm not generally a fan of historicals, but I need to grab a copy of this one.

    Thanks for sharing Alyssa and happy new year poppet <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author has a second novel coming out this year: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22578264-a-sparrow-in-terezin
    Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just really have to be in the mood for AMAZING ;)

    ReplyDelete