Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My Audiobook Adventure Begins

I've entered the world of audiobooks. I've been quiet and sneaky about it. Frankly, I wasn't sure I was going to like them. As one of 'those people' who can't concentrate on reading or writing when there is music/TV/sound on in the background, I completely expected my foray into Audiobook World to end very quickly. And having only completed nine audiobooks I am far from being an 'expert', but I have found a way to make them work in my life and think that you could too. 



My first audiobook I picked up at the library: 'Doll Bones' by Holly Black. I'd seen it around the interwebs and was only mildly interested. When I saw it at the library I thought "why not?" It is not a book I would recommend to an audiobook newbie, it was slow, a bit dull and didn't deliver on it's 'scary/paranormal' promises. But while I didn't like the book, I really liked how suddenly I had a good reason to jump in the car and run my errands. I really liked having something to listen too while baking after the baby went down for bed.

I liked how I could fit audiobooks into my lifestyle and listen on the go.

Since beginning my journey, I've since bought some bluetooth headphones, bought an Audible subscription, and joined up back at the local YMCA. Now I have some even better excuses to listen to audiobooks!

If you are an audiobook newbie like me, my biggest tip is to sample before you buy! A narrator really does make or break a story. Suddenly the book is being filtered through a second 'voice' before you can interpret it for yourself; that DOES change the game. I may have appreciate 'The Young Elites' by Marie Lu more if I hadn't listened to it on audio; I'll never know for sure. I even stopped listening to 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline (even after my librarian recommended the narrator!)because I found the narrator's voice to dull and depressing for the bleak read.

Now that I have Audible, I ALWAYS listen to the sample before spending a credit. I have a Gold membership which allows me one 'credit' a month for an audiobook with the option, of course, to purchase extra books if I like. One credit a month is more than enough for me and would work well for any noob.

From now on I will be adding my audio reviews to the blog, and perhaps sharing some of the backlog. I made the graphic awhile back and so should probably update that before diving in :)

Check my eclectic audiobook shelf on Goodreads. Give me recommendations for your favorite narrators or audiobook!!

6 comments:

  1. If you come across a narrator named JP Linton, he is the husband of a friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are getting into audiobooks! I love the convenience, and being able to 'read' while working is such a big plus for me. I absolutely loved the narration of Austenland by Shannon Hale - I highly recommend that audiobook. The humor was brought out so much more by the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying audiobooks! I don't think I'm ready/willing to commit to an Audible subscription, but I keep meaning to grab some from the library. Looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'll look on Audible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, that sounds like a good one! I'll pick it up in April!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked them out from the library first as well, which I do highly recommend!! Hubby bought me an Audible subscription for my birthday. I like being able to take as long as needed to listen without having to renew. But really, that is probably the best advantage

    ReplyDelete