Friday, August 30, 2013

The Miner's Lady Review

The Miner's Lady (Land of Shining Water #3)
The Miner's Lady by Tracie Peterson
Visit the author's website
Goodreads Summary:
When Chantel Panetta's younger sister claims to be in love with Orlando Vittorio, Chantel knows there is no hope. The Panettas and Vittorios have been sworn enemies for decades, and young love cannot heal the deep wounds between the two iron-mining families. Yet, unable to resist Isabella's pleas, Chantel agrees to help her sister spend time with Orlando...only to have a run-in with Dante, Orlando's brother. The older, more handsome one. 
Chantel can't deny the attraction that flares when she's with Dante. But when a tragedy occurs at the mine, is there any hope that the hatred that has simmered between these two families might be resolved? Or will Chantel's hope for love be buried amidst decades of misunderstanding?
 I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley. The book is released September 1st 2013. The current Kindle price is $8.54 (8/30/13).

My thoughts:
This is a tough review for me. I didn't not NOT like the book, but...let's explain the ''bad'' first.

It just isn't original. The Miner's Lady has a Romeo and Juliet style feud between Italian families now living in Ely, Minnesota. Always good, but not original. I think because of this lack of originality, nothing will particularly stand out and be remembered. Days from now book amnesia will erase the Love Interest's name...er, I mean Dante's name.

I feel this is the nature of romance novels. There is a conflict, the lovers resist their feelings, or are separated, a climax, and then a happy, safe resolution. I know this is the way it just is and it is also why I occasionally pick one up again. It's tried, it's true, it's just not something I can rave about to other readers.

With this fact established, I think we can move forward. The Miner's Lady did have fun points. Tracie Peterson is an excellent writer. Her plot was well thought out and each scene just flowed so lovely. The characters were comfortable. Italian families? Oh yeah, hooked this wannabe Italian! Nonna Barbato was my favorite; everyone should have a Nonna Barbato! Chantel, the MC, had just enough spunk to root for and Dante, the Love Interest, enough charm to fall in love with.

I personally, was hooked instantly when I saw the setting was the home state: Minnesota! I love finding the rare MN book, bonus points for historical correctness, Christian, and a romance! I've checked out the first 2 books in the 'series' and they also appear to be set in MN. I say ''series" because it doesn't appear that any of the characters from each book are in any way connected to each other.

Having read Tracie Peterson before and enjoying this one, I think I have enough trust to read the other Land of Shining Water books. Although enjoyable, cute, and comfortable, it is typical. I rate The Miner's Lady with 3 stars. I recommend it to lover's of Christian Romance or fans of Tracie Peterson.

No comments:

Post a Comment